April 5, 2012
Here is the link, listen to the sermon: 119877659
Why suffering? Consider the source.
Job is the poster child for suffering. Job Chapter 1: 1-12
The Purposes of Suffering
1. There is no doubt we sometimes suffer because of our own sins.
There are consequences of our actions. What you sow is what you also reap. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
2. We suffer because we live in a broken world that has been corrupted by Adam’s sin. Genesis Ch. 3
3. Suffering restrains us from falling in love with this sin stained world. I John 2: 15-17
4. We suffer because the faith we demonstrate in the midst of suffering brings honor and glory to God. I Peter 1: 6-7
5. We suffer because the enemy of our souls desires to destroy God’s children. I Peter 5:8
We have an enemy, you have a real enemy that wants to destroy you.
6. We suffer for purposes known only to God Himself. Romans 11:34 Illustration Job 38:1-12 & 33-37
7. We suffer because in the suffering we are becoming like Christ. Hebrews 2: 9-10, 18
8. God allows us to go through times of testing (suffering) because trials refine us. James 1: 2-4 & Malachi 3: 1-3