September 22, 2011
Dear Wytheville District Clergy and Congregations, Sept. 19, 2011
At the August 9 morning District clergy meeting I made a plea for our clergy and congregations to consider further financial support of the Cleaning Buckets that were assembled at Annual Conference. I was asked to get the information to the district office. Having now verified the information, I am sending it to you.
Due to the multiple tornadoes and flooding that occurred this past Spring, the stock of Cleaning Buckets that the Holston Conference had was depleted. So at Annual Conference we assembled 300 buckets to replenish our stock of cleaning buckets. The cost of supplying those buckets was $11,700 and we collected about $800 of that cost while at conference. It would be great if we could recoup the remainder of the cost of the buckets. Mission Committees, congregations, or individuals may want to contribute to this worthy cause. If so, please send your contribution to Holston Conference and designate it specifically “Annual Conference collection for Cleaning Buckets”.
We always want to keep a good supply of cleaning buckets on hand to be ready to respond in the case of emergencies. So, all congregations are encouraged to collect Cleaning Buckets throughout the year. If you are interested in assembling cleaning buckets throughout the year, I am enclosing a list of the contents of each Cleaning Bucket.
Pastor Ty Harrison member of the Wytheville District Missions Committee
Cleaning Bucket Kit Items
Value: $55 per bucket.
- 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid
Buckets from fast food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned.
Do not use buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaner.
- liquid laundry detergent (two 25 oz. or one 50 oz. bottles only)
- liquid household cleaner 12-16 oz. liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water – no spray cleaners
- dish soap 16-28 oz. bottle, any brand
- 1 can air freshner aerosol or pump
- 1 insect repellant spray 6 – 14 oz. aerosol spay pump with protective cover
- 1 scrub brush plastic or wooden handle
- 18 cleaning wipes handi wipes or reusable wipes, no terry cleaning towels, remove from packaging
- 7 sponges remove from wrapper
- 5 scouring pads remove from wrapper
- 50 clothespins remove from packaging
- clothesline two 50ft. or one 100ft. cotton or plastic
- 24 roll heavy duty trash bags remove from the box
- 5 dust masks
- 2 pair disposable kitchen gloves rubber or latex, remove from packaging
- 1 pair work gloves cotton or leather
Place all liquid items in the bucket first. Place remaining items in the bucket fitting them around and between the liquid items. Sponges, scouring pads, clothespins and trash bags can be separated in order to fit all of the items in the bucket. Ensure the lid is closed securely.
‐All items must be new except for the actual bucket and lid.
‐All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic containers. No powders please.
‐If you cannot find the requested size of a liquid item, use a smaller size.